Thursday, February 26, 2015

Derrick Rose. Cursed or just unlucky?


If you can't tell I am a little late with this post. I am usually with in about 24 hours of the event happening for my posts but this one I wanted to be thinking clearly when I wrote it.

Derrick Rose is someone that I still have posters of in my room. I have every pair of shoes he has released. I have tshirts. Jerseys. And even socks. I am a big fan of DRose and his attacking, slashing, aggressive game.




When I caught word on twitter of the tear I was on the air covering the post game of the Thunder. I immediately had to breathe and clam down. I was pissed. I was frustrated. I wasn't at Derrick Rose, I was upset at the circumstances. Another Bulls season essentially down the tubes and nothing to salvage really for the signing of Pau Gasol.


I have friends who look at Rose's career and laugh and make fun of me. Making Rose's injury almost a butt of the joke, or even like it's his fault. Let me start there. Derrick Rose can't control his string of bad luck. Up until the 2012 playoffs he had never sustained a major injury that is counting high school, college, and the first 3 years of his career. He had played the game of basketball with reckless aggression treating the rim like a guy trying to hit on his girlfriend at the bar. His body was that of a super hero and seemed to be able to things that were super human.

Then like some professional athletes their body gives out. Sustaining a torn ACL is becoming more and more common it seems. The Return happened. Derrick worked for over an entire year to ensure he would return to be the same Rose he had always been. We all know the story from there.

So here we are now. 3 knee injuries later. 3 Bulls seasons left to the ticking of Derrick Rose's clock. I am forced now to forever start to form my opinion on Rose. I won't be burning my shirts. I won't be throwing away my socks. I will even leave the posters up. I'm still a Rose fan.

We look at Rose's past and can't say that any of it was his fault and might just be chalked up to bad luck. We look at Rose's future and its hard to question he won't be another Grant Hill or Penny Hardaway. However he might not be. He might come back. He might be Chicago's protocol son just yet. He is still saying he want's to come back, he wants to try again. Why would I be the one to tell him to stop. He will have to change his game. Obviously his attacking slashing style of play won't continue to work. What happens if he can be like Vince Carter and almost like what seems like over night change his game completely. He could.



So until then.

I'll be waiting on his next shoe release with the money in my savings to buy them in my size 11.


1 comment:

  1. Wow hopefully you will be able to cash on all this memorabilia someday. Here is something for you hopefully it will put a smile on your face. You can't take things to seriously:

    Q: What do the Chicago Bulls and possums have in common?
    A: Both play dead at home and get killed on the road!

    ReplyDelete